Rosslyn Branch

Rosslyn Branch EAWL started an offshoot of Muthaiga Branch in 1954, with 14 founder members. Mrs. Mary Johnson MBE was the first DVP.

 

Their main project was the re-payment of the loan for Muthaiga School, which became the joint responsibility with Muthaiga Branch. By 1955 Membership had grown to 31.

 

In those days Guy Fawkes Parties, Fetes in Members' gardens, and Swimming Parties were regular features of their fund-raising events.

 

Rosslyn's current DVP was always a representative on Muthaiga Nursery School Management Committee together with various parents.

Between this time and 1977 Rosslyn has contributed to a large and varied number of Charities and Appeals including Weal House Appeal (now Harrison House), Gertrudes' Garden, Physically Disabled, especially sponsoring a deaf child, which Rosslyn has continued to do for 20 years. They were very active under the guidance of Dora Katzler (then Chairman EAWL Catering Committee), particularly at the Agricultural Shows at Mitchell Park (now Jamhuri Park). They mooted the idea of using the proceeds from their activities to creating a home for pioneer women. Mrs. Jean Anderson (pictured here) followed through and the idea materialized. Nella Stannah for many years was in charge of catering for Muthaiga Club Tent at the shows and there after catering was her forte until she left Kenya. They were keen exhibitors in the Home Industries and the first time Rosslyn ever entered, they won the Gurney Trophy for the smaller Branches. Zillah Fotheringham was Chief Steward about this time, and since Ronnie Hughes joined Rosslyn, she was a very active member of the Home Industries Committee and won many prizes especially for her clever and intricate models of shells, one in particular depicting a Council Meeting with clearly recognizable members on the platform (pictured below).

 

Over the years members of Rosslyn Branch have served on many of the League's Committees, including Health and Education; members, especially Miss Dorothy Harris gave many hours helping with the Forces Club in 1958/9.

Mrs Jean Anderson - MBE

By 1977, with Jean Anderson MBE still National Chairman and Rosslyn's Mary Johnson MBE a Vice Chairman, meetings were concerned with the Diamond Jubilee Fund, a League project to provide a Skin Cancer Tube for Kenyatta Hospital.

 

Mary Johnson joined E.A.W.L. in 1949 as Secretary and later became DVP of Muthaiga Branch 1951/53, when she took great interest in the Muthaiga Nursery School - she was Chairman of the School Board for many years. She became DVP of Rosslyn at its inception in 1954 and remained so until 1958. She served on Executive for many years and as Chairman in 1954. Also Chairman of Education Committee several times during a six-year period and several other Standing Committees including the old "Bulletin" - now Editorial & Publications. Mary became President of the League in 1963/64 and held office as League Vice Chairman several times since then.

 

At the start of a new decade the League Project was the extension of Gertrude's Garden Children's Hospital, Zillah Fotheringham was the League's representative for many years, so Rosslyn again played its part in fund-raising efforts to this end. It is interesting to note that about this time Subscriptions were raised to Shs,30/- plus Shs,1/­ D.T.F. (Delegates Traveling Fund).

 

The fashion in the manner in which Funds were raised started changing about this time. One no longer read about Bingo (which was a great fundraiser, collecting £107 on one occasion) but Rosslyn during the past 10 years has concentrated on Film and Slide Shows (mainly on Wildlife) at H.Q., with snack suppers, and Friday coffee mornings which have become such a popular feature of the League.

 

Over the years members of Rosslyn Branch have served on many of the League's Committees, including Health and Education; members, especially Miss Dorothy Harris gave many hours helping with the Forces Club in 1958/9.

Shell Sculpture made by Ronnie Hughes of Rosslyn Branch